For Whom Do You Write?

Posted by KAREN WOJCIK BERNER


Today, “Editing for Grammarphobes” deals with an age-old dilemma of American English writers. Yes, I said it is the Americans, for the Brits seem to know the answer to this quandary, as they speak the true English, and we, bastardized versions of the original tongue.

Who or whom?

British punk bands know which one to use. See if you can recognize this lyric.

“This indecisions bugging me
If you don’t want me, set me free
Exactly whom I’m supposed to be
Don’t you know which clothes even fit me?”

That’s right. It is the Clash’s “Should I Stay or Should I Go?”

Okay, so here is the rule.

“Who” and “whom” refer to humans and animals with a name. According to AP Style, “who” is used when someone is the subject of the sentence, clause or phrase.

Example:

The singer who is the best in the choir has a solo.

Who will it be?


“Whom” is used when someone is the object of a verb or preposition.

Example:

The drummer to whom the set was rented broke the cymbal.

Whom do you think is the best?



Holiday Flash Fiction Wanted

Ho. Ho. Ho. Before you know it, the holiday season will be upon us. I am looking for pieces of flash fiction, 500 words or less, on your interpretation of “the holidays.” Could be Christmas, Yule, Winter Solstice, Al-Hijira, Ashura, Chanukah, Kwanzaa, New Year’s Eve or Day or Festivus. The choice is yours.

The deadline is November 29. Please send it to me at karen@karenberner.com, and put “Flash Fiction Fridays” in the tagline. Don’t forget to include a short bio and links. The only thing I ask of you is to sign up to follow Bibliophilic Blather. No biggie, right?

Thanks.

Comments

Deana said…
I have serious grammar issues. I look forward to your meme. I've got some learning to do:)

www.deanabarnhart.blogspot.com
www.momstheglue.blogspot.com

Popular posts from this blog

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: 'F' It All

I'm on Location

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: Which, What, Who?