Wednesday, October 27, 2010

It's Almost Halloween

I am going to forgo “Editing for Grammarphobes” today. I am immersed in Halloween activities, including writing a murder mystery for my son’s classroom party on Friday. The graveyard is up in front of our house. The gnarled gourds are in place. A pumpkin-headed creature, tucked in our magnolia tree, awaits non-suspecting pedestrians.

I love Halloween. I have great memories of dressing up in whatever costume I wanted, parading around the gym at school and eating cupcakes in homeroom. After darkness fell, the trick or treating commenced, followed by a dinner of beef stew eaten by the orange glow of a jack o’lantern and accompanied by scary stories on the radio. Then, the pièce de résistance — sorting through and eating candy while watching “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.”

Awesome.

When I got older, the original Celtic notion of Halloween being the one day the veil between this world and the next could be drawn aside was intriguing and only added to the mystical quality the holiday already possessed. The darkness, the horror, the being able to wear black lipstick and play Goth for a day. This is what Halloween is all about.

On Friday, my Halloween gift to you is flash fiction from two award-winning authors, Daniel Pyle and Julie Ann Weinstein. A bonus full-sized chocolate bar in your trick or treat bag.

I wish you a magical All Hallow’s Eve. May it be filled with creepy shadows, unexplained fog and wolves howling in the distance.

Boo.

No comments: