Editing for Grammarphobes: Dialogue #1

I recently received an email from a writer struggling with punctuating dialogue, something that many us face on a regular basis. So, out of these sentences, which is right?


“Sure, whatever,” he shrugged.


or


“Sure, whatever,” He shrugged. 


The first sentence is correct. Always end your quote with a comma if you have an identifier (he said, she said, she spit, he shrugged), and make sure the comma is inside the quotes.


A good overall rule is commas and periods always go inside quotation marks.


I will cover quotes and other punctuation next week.


Flash Fiction Fridays
December's Holiday month starts out with an old West Christmas story by Travis Haselton. Be sure to check it out on Friday.

Comments

Robin Sullivan said…
I think you're wrong. The issue is an "action tag" verses a "dialog tag". You said....

“Sure, whatever,” he shrugged.

Is correct...but shouldn't it be.....

“Sure, whatever.” He shrugged.

Because shrugging is an action tag not a dialog tag.

Now in the case of....

“Sure, whatever,” he said.

You would be 100% correct as this is a dialog tag.

Am I crazy here? Can someone verify?
Thanks for your comment, Robin.

I understand what you are saying, but what if he shrugs and utters at the same time? That's why I went with the standard dialogue tag, because, to me, it seemed like two simultaneous actions, not separate ones.

Popular posts from this blog

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: 'F' It All

I'm on Location

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: Which, What, Who?