Monday, January 17, 2011

Editing for Grammarphobes: Great Writing and MLK


It is Martin Luther King Day in the United States, a day when we honor Dr. King’s message of equality for all.

Not only was Dr. King a great man for what he accomplished, he also was a great writer who gave our country some of it’s best rhetoric of the 20th century. His “I Have a Dream Speech” is an amazing piece, which always brings a tear to my eye, no matter how many times I have heard it.


Yahoo! has a little history section on Dr. King today, which includes some of his quotes. I would like to share a few of them with you. 

“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.”

“Almost always, the creative dedicated minority has made the world better.”

“A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death.”

“I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.”

“I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: ‘We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal.’"

Words to ponder. Words to live by. Thank you, Dr. King.

No comments: