I HEART Books


I hate Valentine’s Day with all of its obnoxious pink and frills. Obviously, marriage has made the holiday a lot easier by eliminating old anxieties such as “Will I get a Valentine?” or “Does he really like me?” No and no. Just kidding. But enough about my personal life.

This Valentine’s Day, I would rather focus on something that has been a constant in my life since I was a wee tot and still am very much in love with today — books. Besides my children (and sometimes despite my children), nothing makes me happier than settling into a comfortable chair with a good book and my beverage of choice beside me. Hot in the winter. Iced in the summer.

What are your favorites?

Post them in the comments section for a chance to win a Kindle copy of A Whisper to a Scream. It’s my Valentine to you.

Here are some books that affected me profoundly.


A Room of One’s Own 
Virginia Woolf struck a chord with me in this brilliant analysis of women and writing, which is as relevant now as when she penned it in 1929. 


Back When We Were Grown Ups 

For every woman who feels she does not make a difference in her family’s lives, Anne Tyler offers this piece to prove otherwise. 


Moby Dick 

Herman Melville’s epic adventure also has enough symbolism to make any English major leap with joy. 

Moby Dick, or, the whaleA Room of One's OwnBack When We Were Grownups: A Novel
The Oxford Illustrated Jane Austen: Volume II: Pride and Prejudice (Oxford Illustrated Austen)The Elements of Style (4th Edition)Complete Works of Shakespeare, The (6th Edition)

The Complete Works of Shakespeare

This tome, which contains many of the greatest pieces of theatre ever created, is my bible: revered and referred to on a regular basis. The language, the phraseology, the wit. My life is enriched because of this genius, and I am forever grateful.

The Elements of Style 

One cannot be an English major or editor without consulting Strunk and White’s guide on a regular basis. It is a great handbook to good writing.

Pride and Prejudice 

The magnum opus of the master. What else can one say?


I look forward to reading some of your favorites. Happy Valentine’s Day.

Comments

David said…
This is a fun idea. One of my favorite books was the last of the Harry Potter series called 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows'. The whole series was exciting and it allowed the family to enjoy them together.
Jeanne Tomlin said…
Sharing favorite books is always fun. My "if you could have one book on a desert island" choice is always:

The Charioteer by Mary Renault

At least it's romantic for Valentine's day since the second on my list would be George RR Martin's Game of Thrones which is pretty much anti-romantic. :)
Julie said…
I agree with your choice of A Room Of One's Own. I also loved Anne Tyler's Ladder of Years and A Patchwork World. Other old favorites include, Woman Warrior by Maxine Hong Kingston and Bluebeard by Kurt Vonnegut.
Thanks so much for your comments, David, Jeanne and Julie. You all are entered in the giveaway.

Julie: I really enjoy pretty much anything Anne Tyler writes. :) "Woman Warrior" sounds intriguing. I will look it up.

Jeanne: I'll have to check out "The Charioteer." Do you know "Game of Thrones" is going to be a series on HBO? I think it starts in April.

David: Love the Harry Potter series.

Popular posts from this blog

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: 'F' It All

I'm on Location

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: Which, What, Who?