Monday, March 7, 2011

Monday Morning Business


Good day, everyone. Have a seat, and let’s get started. I have called this meeting because we have a few matters of business to cover.

Read an E-Book Week


First, it is national Read an E-Book Week. For those of you unfamiliar with them, e-books can be downloaded to many e-readers, including Kindle, Nook and Sony. However, those are not the only venues. Using Kindle, Nook and iBookstore applications, e-books also can be downloaded to iPads, iPods, iPhones, Blackberrys, Androids and even computers.

About this time last year, a battle was raging in my head. How could e-readers possibly be better than holding a book in your hands? Better than smelling that newly printed piece of literary anticipation? Then I received an iPad for Mother’s Day, and everything changed. I downloaded the Kindle app so I could see what A Whisper to a Scream looked like for the readers. I was hooked.

There are two things I absolutely love about downloading e-books. One, shopping is so easy. How many of you enjoy this? Sample a book in one minute, purchase it the next. Fantastic.

Second, it saves space. Of course I love my bookshelves, and they have been a big part of my life for, well, really my entire life, holding memories as dear to me as any photo album. I have no intention of giving up physical books, I just think there is room for both in our lives.

So, try one out. Okay, preferably mine, but if you must read someone else’s, I understand. Psst. All you have to do is click on either the Amazon or Barnes & Noble icon over to the right of this post. Okay, that concludes the commercial part of the meeting.

Flash Fiction Fridays’ April Theme

The next item on our agenda is the new topic for “Flash Fiction Fridays.” Drumroll please...April’s theme is....more drumroll...Spring Fever. And who among us does not have that right now, especially if you are in the northern hemisphere, particularly in the midwest and northeast, where there is still snow on the ground?

How do you interpret Spring Fever? Love? Cleaning? Fleeing your neighborhood in search of warmer climates? All of the above? Deadline for submissions is March 28. Send your 500-word Spring Fever stories to karen@karenberner.com. Please remember to put “Flash Fiction Fridays” in the subject line and, if you are new to Bibliophilic Blather, sign up to follow the blog so we can build our online writing community.

Women’s History Month

Our final topic today is Women’s History Month. I have been trying to figure out how to incorporate this into “Editing for Grammarphobes,” and I think I may have it. To commemorate Women’s History Month, Bibliophilic Blather will be starting a series on major women writers and how their work has influenced literature by exploring how their writing styles still affect good writing today.

First up is Virginia Woolf on Wednesday.

Who else do you think should be included in this series? I have three more women writers to choose. Please let me know your thoughts in the comments section.

March is shaping up to be a great month on Bibliophilic Blather. Thanks so much for reading. Meeting adjourned.

2 comments:

llevinso said...

Also tomorrow is International Women's Day. I did a post on it just now: http://femalebookreader.blogspot.com/2011/03/international-womens-day.html

Karen Wojcik Berner said...

Thank you for reminding me. Your post was excellent.