Flash Fiction Fridays: Spring Fever Month Continues

Ah, Spring. The crack of the bat. The roar of the crowd. Here's what Spring Fever means to Sean Sweeney. Enjoy.


Beating the Yanks
By Sean Sweeney

Usually it’s the smell of the sausages sizzling on Lansdowne Street that gets me on Opening Day. This year, the two Yankee fans chasing me would get me if I wasn’t careful.

Alright, so I was a little obnoxious when I said their pitching staff was cobbled together with spit – a knock against the fans for their actions toward Cliff Lee’s wife – and glue. I admit that wholeheartedly. Should that have earned me a chasing from the Kenmore T stop all the way to Fenway Park, though? Nosireebob.

Of course, I had to go and pick on two of the largest Yankee fans of them all. Remember Eddie the Yankee Fan from the "Cheers" season one episode? Yeah. He’s small compared to these bums. Their pinstriped t-shirts looked like they used Tide with Mudpuddle. They had mustard stains that looked ground into the fabric, as if they had been there since last October. They looked like the stereotypical New Yorker as portrayed by the Brooklyn Brawler.

And I had to outrun them.

Insert sweating and heavy breathing here.

My arms pumped away as I sprinted across the bridge that spanned the Massachusetts Turnpike. I glanced over my shoulder and saw these behemoths muscling their way through the crowd, picking up fellow pedestrians and Toyotas, tossing the obstacles aside. I saw their strides were Ent-like on the concrete.

I turned away and pumped my arms harder.

I could have ducked into the Cask N’ Flagon, but that would have led to a pounding. I didn’t want to be trapped there. I crossed Lansdowne and avoided a cab trying to run me down. I turned my hips and kept my body in motion.

Those New York goons were still coming for me. I turned away and flew down the slanting sidewalk before making the turn onto Yawkey Way. I skidded to a halt at the box office steps as I saw the sea of people waiting to get into the park.

I grinned as a plan formed. I resumed my run and surged through the queue, making sure those two Yankee fans didn’t see me. Thankfully, I never told them where my seats were, which meant I had a good chance of them not finding me.

I hurried into the souvenir store and bought a new Red Sox hat to replace my faded blue one, then bought a pair of cheap sunglasses and a jacket. I put them on and crossed the street.

They searched for me, keeping their eyes peeled like a pair of mafiosa crime lords looking for an informant. I slid past them without them seeing me. I breathed a sigh of relief as I handed my ticket to the attendant. I bought an Italian sausage, a beer, and I found my seat without any trouble.

I had evaded those Yankee fans, I had a beer in my hand, and I was about to watch my Sox win.

I smiled.

Another Spring has arrived in the Back Bay Fens.




Born in the city of Fitchburg, Massachusetts, in 1977, Sean Sweeney's love of reading began 11 years later when he was handed J.R.R. Tolkien's classic The Hobbit. His passion for writing began in 1993, as a sophomore in high school, when he began to write sports for his local newspaper, the Sentinel & Enterprise. Since then, he has written for several Massachusetts newspapers, including the Telegram & Gazette of Worcester and the Southbridge Evening News in Southbridge. He has since returned to where it all started, as he came back to the Sentinel in April 2008. He also strings for the Springfield Republican and Turley Publications.

It was Salvatore, the acclaimed fantasy author, who convinced him to pen the manuscript that became Obloeron: The Quest For The Chalice in December 2001. He began writing Quest over a year later, in January 2003, finishing the first draft in February 2005.

Sean's older pseudonym, John Fitch V, was chosen in honor of the late Robert Cormier, a native son of Leominster, Massachusetts. Cormier, when writing for the Sentinel & Enterprise of Fitchburg, wrote under the pseudonym of John Fitch IV.

When he is not writing, Sean enjoys playing golf, reading, watching movies, the Boston Red Sox, New England Revolution, the Arsenal F.C., and playing with his kitten, Caramel the Wonder Cat.

Links:

Website: www.johnfitchv.com

US Kindle books as Sean Sweeney: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_12?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=sean+sweeney&x=0&y=0&sprefix=sean+sweeney

US Kindle books as John Fitch V: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_2_8?url=search-alias%3Ddigital-text&field-keywords=john+fitch+v&x=0&y=0&sprefix=John+Fit

Comments

Deborah said…
This is fun - catches the tension of the run, with some good close-up detail like the mustard stains.

(Thank you too, Karen, for the lovely comment on my blog. It's much appreciated, and I shall certainly keep in touch if I may.)

Popular posts from this blog

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: 'F' It All

I'm on Location

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: Which, What, Who?