Editing for Grammarphobes: Revisiting Homophones

Posted by KAREN WOJCIK BERNER



Do you remember what a homophone is? They are words that sound the same, but are spelled differently. Homophones can trip up even the most seasoned of writers. And what 
is worse, they are never picked up by 
Spell Check. 

hangar, hanger 

A hangar is a building, which usually houses airplanes.

People use hangers for their clothes. 



cannon, canon 

A cannon is a weapon.

Canon is a law or rule, usually of a church.


straight, strait 

Straight means something not crooked or curved.

A strait is a narrow passageway between two bodies of water.




Coming Up Friday...

Number three in the Flash Fiction Fridays Top Five. Who will it be?

Comments

Kelly Hashway said…
Homophones are just one more reason why I hate spell/grammar check. I swear that feature is useless. As a teacher I found kids misusing your and you're as well as there and their.
Yes, those are some of the top homophone mistakes. Thanks for reading, Kelly.
Leah Griffith said…
Very informative post. Of course at first I thought you were saying "homophobes" instead of "homophones" as I had never heard the term homophones before. Sometimes my brain ignores my eyes and uses its default settings. LOL!
I use to get so hung up on homophones, not because I didn't know the difference but it's so simple to spell like it sounds when you're in a hurry and not thinking.
Leah: Too funny!

Lena: It is easy to get hung up on things and not let the writing flow. I write first and second drafts of scenes, maybe even a third or fourth, before I start editing for grammar. That seems to work the best for me.

Thanks for your comments.

Popular posts from this blog

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: 'F' It All

I'm on Location

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: Which, What, Who?