Editing for Grammarphobes: Too Hot to Think

Since most of the United States is under a severe heat warning today, with temperatures soaring in the upper 90s to over 100 and heat indexes around 115, I find myself wanting to stay in my lovely air conditioning and avoid anything that requires too much brain capacity. 


So, here is a grammar quickie courtesy of The Associated Press Stylebook and Briefing on Media Law.


who's, whose


Who's is a contraction for who is, not a possessive. Whose is the possessive. 


Examples


Who's there?
I do not know whose coat it is.


Coming Next...


Join us on Friday when we reveal who came in at number two for the Flash Fiction Fridays Top Five.



Comments

R. Doug Wicker said…
I'm always having trouble remembering this, and wind up looking it up nearly every time I use either whose or who's.

Drives me nuts.
Deborah said…
Who's the coolest (strictly in the meteorological sense)? I think we are in Europe, currently, quite chilly in fact. And whose outlook is better?! I'd always rather be too cold than too hot - enjoy that air con!
Well played, Deborah. I would rather be cold than hot as well. One can always put on more clothes.

R. Doug, feel free to bookmark this post for easy access. Glad I can be of service. :)
My students always have trouble with this! I should direct them to these examples. =)

Thanks!
-Miss GOP
Feel free to invite them over anytime, Miss GOP. Thanks for stopping by.

Popular posts from this blog

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: 'F' It All

I'm on Location

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: Which, What, Who?