Friday, August 26, 2011

Flash Fiction Fridays

Free-for-All month continues today with a great piece by Cleveland W. Gibson. Enjoy.


Death in The Moonlight
By Cleveland W. Gibson


As Moonlight falls upon the castle walls, and when the weak must seek
some peace in prayer, only then the Lady in White will walk quite
beautifully tonight.

See her calm, her face so fair as the wind ruffles, softly surreal the
Moonlight shines upon her hair. But grasp the majestic nature of what
you see for there beneath the proud chin shows only air; gone cut away,
the wretched body full of despair.
















So now she walks at midnight to the clock tower chime, it's on me I see
she casts a spell so tender and divine. Those, others like me, who see
her often cry, perhaps talk of her and how she came to die.

No simple plot of love gone wrong or bitter sweet the sound of song,
rather think of crime and wine, and there in perfect moonlight where she
walked for the last time.

Close she comes to pass me by, chilling me again as I heard her
anguished sigh. “Moonlight. Oh, Moonlight, must it always be. Wait my 
lover , my child, my dear. Halt the dagger. First, kiss me. Kiss me.“



This story first appeared on Bewildering Stories.com in 2011 and also in The Dreamweaver Chronicles in 2011, for a Lebanese-based film production company.


Cleveland W. Gibson is the author of Silver Wolf, Remains, and Only the Best, all of which are available for Kindle e-readers. He was born in colonial India in an atmosphere of colour, mystery and intrigue. In the UK, he worked in the government, trained as a life guard and was a road race director for over ten years. Since taking up writing he’s published over two hundred short stories, poems, and articles in over eighty-five countries. His current project is a fantasy novel, House of the Skull Drum. To learn more about Cleveland, visit Bewildering Stories.


Photo courtesy of bethtrissel.wordpress.com.

1 comment:

Deborah said...

What strikes me most about these lovely lines is that they are more poem than prose, with so many rhymes. Fine illustration, too.