Monday, September 19, 2011

Attention Fellow Janeites: This Book is for You


I was tired. Over last couple of days, I had been writing some particularly rough scenes for my WIP, tentatively titled How Long ‘Til My Soul Gets It Right?, which probably is too long for a title, but I will deal with that later.

This one is about another member of the Classics Book Club, Catherine, who played Audrey the Country Wench in As You Like It, the Bibliophiles’ field trip at the end of A Whisper to a Scream. And she can be exhausting. Fascinating, but exhausting.

Sunday morning, I was maxed out. It was a dark, rainy morning, the perfect time to make some tea and enjoy a book. I have many on my to-read list, but was in the mood for some complete escapism. I had downloaded Definitely Not Mr. Darcy the previous day, having no desire to wait patiently for its arrival. That’s the great thing about e-books, don’t you think? One click and bam! It’s on your Nook, Kindle or, in my case, iPad. Very fulfilling, really.

My family was occupied, so after breakfast, I sat with a cup of Prince of Wales tea and read, still in my pajamas, cozied up with a light blanket to guard against the morning’s chill. I did not get up from my seat until after one o’clock. I could not. It would have broken the spell, jolting me back into reality.




Definitely Not Mr. Darcy is a delightful romp. Most of you readers know how much I love Jane Austen, and I am weary of blatant rip-offs of her excellent work. Author Karen Doornebos has created an intriguing premise, incorporating Miss Austen without bastardizing her novels.

Here is a synopsis.

Chloe Parker was born two centuries too late. A thirty-nine-year-old divorced mother, she runs her own antique letterpress business, is a lifelong member of the Jane Austen Society, and gushes over everything Regency. But her business is failing, threatening her daughter's future.

So she auditions for a Jane Austen-inspired TV show set in England, of course.

What Chloe thinks is a documentary turns out to be a reality dating show set in 1812. Eight women are competing to snare Mr. Wrightman, the heir to a gorgeous estate, along with a $100,000 prize.

Chloe tosses her bonnet into the ring, hoping to transform from stressed-out Midwest mom to genteel American heiress and win the money. With no cell phones, indoor plumbing, or deodorant to be found, she must tighten her corset and flash some ankle to beat out women younger, more cutthroat, and less clumsy than herself.

Definitely Not Mr. Darcy is just pure fun. It is available online at amazon and Barnes and Noble and at your local bookstores.

13 comments:

angel011 said...

Sounds like fun!

Karen Wojcik Berner said...

I enjoyed every minute of this book, I must say.

Leah Griffith said...

Sounds like a fun read. Putting it on my wish list. I'm proud of you for getting so much writing done. I need to get wit it;)

Karen Wojcik Berner said...

Thanks, Leah. I'm working on it. Some days are better than others, of course, but it is coming together nicely.

Janel said...

This does sound like fun. Not all of the Austen knock-off books appeal to me, but the plot of this one sounds interesting.

R. Doug Wicker said...

That certainly does sound fun, all right. I may have to put that into my queue (but well after yours, of course).

Karen Wojcik Berner said...

Janel, I know what you mean.

R. Doug, why, thank you, kind sir.

Thanks for reading.

Lenasledgeblog.com said...

Now this sounds like an entertaining and possibly funny story.

I like title of your book, I could definitely relate to it. Good luck with your WIP.

Karen Wojcik Berner said...

Thanks, Lena. I'm glad you like the title. I try to think of what else it could be called, but keep coming back to How Long 'Til My Soul Gets It Right?

J. R. Tomlin said...

I'm not big on romances, but that sounds like fun even to me. :)

Karen Doornebos said...

Hello Karen, from the Other Karen (Karen Doornebos). Thank you for a lovely review. We must meet for tea/coffee/drinks some time!

Karen Wojcik Berner said...

That sounds lovely, Karen. Thanks for stopping by.

Fairday Morrow said...

Sounds like a great book. I could use a light read right now and the cover is cool! Great review!

I found you through Book Blogs and signed up to follow you. When you have a chance- please stop by and follow the blog for my middle grade novel that I am hoping to get published. http://thesecretdmsfilesoffairdaymorrow.blogspot.com/

Take care-
Jess- although I may show up as Fairday, the main character from my novel. I can't figure out why that happens sometimes and I can't fix it. :)