Flash Fiction Fridays: Musings

Sometimes things just work out, don't they? This month, the pieces I received for open prompt all deal with the inner workings of the mind — its wishes, doubts, fits and reflections. To start off November, here's a story with which many of you are probably quite familiar.



A Slave to her Muse
By Leanne Dyck


Debbie Newton slept, but not peacefully. One minute she lay on her stomach, the next she flipped like a pancake on to her back. She kicked at the blankets, mashed her head into the pillow. Longing for a soothing island oasis, she found a violent storm. The wind raged, tossing her like a kite. A rope. Yes, that's what I need. In her hands, a thick rock climber's rope appeared. She looped it around a tree and then around herself. There, she thought, confident she'd won. Red-handled scissors materialized. One cut and she sailed into the air.

"No fair!" she screamed, pounding her mattress.

Soaring over rooftops, she looked down and saw in bold black lettering against a green metal roof, W-R-I-T-E. 

She woke, turned on her bedside lamp and grabbed a pen.




Leanne Dyck’s work has been published in several periodicals, including Island Writer literary journal and Kaleidoscope. She is the author of a collection of short stories, two chapbooks, an audio-book, a learn-to-knit pattern book, and a cozy mystery, Maynely A Mystery. In January 2011, Decadent Publishing released her thriller, The Sweater Curse. She is a member of the Crime Writers of Canada and the Mayne Island Writers' Group. To learn more about Leanne, visit her blog.

Comments

Kelly Hashway said…
So few words and yet so great.
Leah Griffith said…
Wow, I sooo relate to this one. As a matter of fact last night was such a night, although I resisted the urge to grab a pen. I should have though because I distinctly remember having a great idea. Unfortunately the actual idea evaporated by morning. It was a good one though...of this I'm certain;)
Nice piece, creative and well written.
Thank you so much for featuring me on Flash Fiction Friday. I look forward returning to read the other stories.
Thank you Kelly and Leah for your kind words.
holessence said…
Ohhhhhh, you've gotta love it. W-R-I-T-E written on the roof top. No matter where you go, your muse is going to find you...
Hi Laurie,
Thank you for visiting me here. Yup, you gotta believe she is...
Nice story. Short and sweet. The writing muse always kicks in for me when I am sleeping.
creativepotager said…
Well, well I had one of these nights of frightful tossing these weeks as well. Should have turned on the light... but I didn't. I sailed on the breeze of discontented restlessness instead.

Excellent story Leanne!
R. Doug Wicker said…
Fun little story. Good job.
Thanks for sharing your work, Leanne. :)
What a nice surprise to come back here and find more kind works. Thank you all for your support.

Popular posts from this blog

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: 'F' It All

I'm on Location

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: Which, What, Who?