Editing for Grammarphobes: A Public Service Announcement



Note: I ran this last December, but seeing as it is still a widespread problem, it must be repeated.





I love the holidays, but one thing guaranteed to bring out my inner Grinch is the most common grammatical error of the season -- reindeers. That’s right, reindeers.

Ladies and gentlemen, reindeers do not exist. There are only reindeer. Reindeer is a singular and plural word referring to the large Arctic deer who pull Santa’s sleigh.

I have heard this error in songs and carols, as well as misspoken on city streets, and it jolts me every time like a sprig of holly through my heart.

So, please remember reindeer in your holiday writing and conversations. It will make the season a more pleasurable one, especially for all of the grammar grinches like me. Thank you.

Comments

angel011 said…
Another one I remember from the elementary school English lessons.
R. Doug Wicker said…
Oh, dears.

Errr . . . . I mean . . . .
I just love the grammar posts. Keep 'em coming. Wondering if I need to go through some old posts and see how many mistakes I've made in the past. :-/

Popular posts from this blog

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: 'F' It All

I'm on Location

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: Which, What, Who?