Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Happy (Almost) Birthday, Jane Austen


December 16 is the most hallowed of all dates in literary history, for it was on that day in 1775 that the most wonderful Jane Austen was born. Since the 16th falls on a Flash Fiction Fridays this year, I've decided to pay homage a few days early.

I know a lot of you are like me and enjoy our dear Miss Austen's work in many forms, especially those starring Colin Firth (sigh).




Let's celebrate by sharing our favorite Jane Austen novel or adaptation. Which one do you like best?

I'll go first. Although I love them all, I cannot help but count Pride and Prejudice as my favorite novel. For adaptation, I have to go with the 1995 BBC production of Pride and Prejudice with Jennifer Ehle and, of course, Colin Firth. However, Bridget Jones's Diary comes in a close second.

How about you? What is your favorite Austen novel or adaptation?



Love Unlisted Giveaway Winner


Congratulations to Janel G. for winning the Stephanie Haddad Day book giveaway and many thanks to Stephanie for writing a great guest blog.


8 comments:

Kelly Hashway said...

Congrats to Janel!

I like Pride and Prejudice, too!

angel011 said...

The favorite novel would be Pride and Prejudice. As for the adaptation, I'd enjoy Sense and Sensibility with Alan Rickman, except that it was Ang Lee who directed it, and I can't stand Ang Lee.

Lenasledgeblog.com said...

I would say, Pride and Prejudice and Zombies. Just because it's so out there in left field. :-)

Jack Urquhart said...

P&P is my favorite, too. I re-read it (at least) on a two-year cycle and never tire of the story and characters. Also favor the BBC version of same, which aired on A&E here in the states. (Who could fail to fall in love with the marvelous Jennifer Ehle as Lizzie?) A close second--"Sense & Sensibility" (book) and Emma Thompson's 1995 screen play, directed by Ang Lee.

Beverly Diehl said...

I'm a total P & P lover, though Sense & Sensibility is a close second. But then... I love them all, truly.

Karen Wojcik Berner said...

There sure is a lot of P&P love here today. You all have exquisite taste. :)

Janel said...

First of all, Yay! :)

I'm a P & P fan too. I'm really amazed at all of the adaptations that are being written now. Fun and a very interesting literary phenomenon.

Claudine Gueh said...

I've only read EMMA back in school. I like her spunkiness.