Celebrating a Literary Master

Posted by KAREN WOJCIK BERNER




“Marley was dead, to begin with. There is no doubt whatever about that. The register of his burial was signed by the clergyman, the clerk, the undertaker, and the chief mourner. Scrooge signed it. And Scrooge’s name was good upon ‘Change, for anything he chose to put his hand to. Old Marley was as dead as a door-nail.”
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens


Yesterday was the 200th anniversary of English literature superstar Charles Dickens' birth. One such as myself cannot let something like that pass without commemoration, so today on Bibliophilic Blather, we will discuss Dickens and his work.

I’m sure you remember studying at least one of his novels in school or college. A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations and Bleak House come to mind immediately. Being an English major, one could never earn that degree without at least one piece of Dickens being analyzed and appreciated. Recently, Masterpiece Classic has done wonderful adaptations of Oliver Twist and Great Expectations.

But of all his great works, my favorite is still the little ghost story novella he wrote in 1843, the ultimate yuletide tale, A Christmas Carol. Have you ever read it? Of course, we all have watched it countless times throughout our lives, whether on television, in the movies or on the stage, but have you actually read it?


“But I am sure I have always thought of Christmas time, when it has come round —
 apart from the veneration due to its sacred name and origin, if anything belonging
 to it can be apart from that — as a good time; a kind, forgiving, charitable, pleasant time;
 the only time I know of, in the long calendar of the year, when men and women seem by
 one consent to open their shut-up hearts freely, and to think of people below them as if they really were fellow-passengers to the grave, and not another race of creatures
bound on other journeys.”
—Nephew Fred to Ebenezer Scrooge





A few years ago, I found a beautiful version Barnes & Nook Books had put out in 2003 and decided we would read it aloud as a family the week or so leading up to Christmas to put our heads in the right places as we jettisoned toward the big day.

“Scrooge was better than his word. He did it all, and infinitely more; and to Tiny Tim, who did not die, he was a second father. He became as good a friend, as good a master, and as good a man, as the good old city knew, or any other good old city, town, or borough, in the good old world. Some people laughed to see the alteration in him, but he let them laugh, and little heeded them; for he was wise enough to know that nothing ever happened on this globe, for good, at which some people did not have their fill of laughter in the outset; and knowing that such as these would be blind anyway, he thought it quite as well that they should wrinkle up their eyes in grins, as have the malady in less attractive forms. His own heart laughed; and that was quite enough for him.”
—Charles Dickens

More powerful even than Alastair Sim’s heartfelt apology to Fred’s wife (which does not happen in the book, but makes for a lovely moment on film), Dickens’ words cut to the heart of the holiday, as all around him, the chasm between the haves and the have nots had grown cavernous. It is a lesson as relevant today as in his.

That is what great literature does, don’t you think? Opens our eyes (and hopefully our hearts) to the experiences of others. Holds a mirror up to our collective faces and exposes the flaws. Challenges our society to better itself.

In gratitude to you, Charles Dickens, for reminding us at least once a year what is truly important.

Happy Birthday.




Comments

Janel said…
You're right. I have seen several movie adaptations, but never read the book. I love your idea of reading this with your family before Christmas. My kids are definitely old enough to step up from "The Night Before Christmas" to Dickens.
Deborah said…
A Christmas Carol was my introduction, at the age of eleven, to Dickens. I suspect it was for many others when they were at school. I still remember how I feared it was going to be too difficult - a really serious grown-up book by Dickens! - but then was amazed at how easily and vividly the story unfolded, with characters who sprang off the page.
Beverly Diehl said…
Seems like I read it, once upon a time... but can't remember. It is a lovely story, one that I'd like to believe could happen (overnight transformation).

In recent years, I've gagged on some of the classics - where's my red pen? But they were written at a different time, and if authors today were paid for serializing their work, it would look very different.
Anonymous said…
I don't think I've ever actually read A Christmas Carol. That will be on my long list of things to do when November roles around :). I think it's interesting you say the story is still relevant today. I think that is another important quality of great literature; it's relevant in any time period.
Travis Haselton said…
Never read it before, definitely going to now.
Leah Griffith said…
This was a delightful post Karen. Thank you for celebrating Mr. Dicken's work. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I agree Dickens is a master. I have read A Christmas Carol. In fact, at one time, I had a collection of editions. Then I meet a few friends who hadn't read it--and needed to. One edition remains.
Thank you for this fine post and for the others. In light of them, and many more, I have nominated you for The Versatile Blogger Award.
Good luck
Leanne
http://sweatercursed.blogspot.com
Janel: I hope your family enjoys it. :)

Deborah: Dickens is definitely a master of characterization, to be sure.

Bev: I wish it would happen more often, especially these days...hear that, Wall Street? :)

Anonymous: I love a good Classic! :)

Travis: Get to it! :)

Leah: So glad for your comment. I was nervous after my Super Bowl post, you would never return. Whew!

Leanne: Thanks so much for thinking of me. I really appreciate it.

Thanks, everyone, for your comments and for reading.

Popular posts from this blog

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: 'F' It All

I'm on Location

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: Which, What, Who?