Wednesday, October 17, 2012

All Hallow's Read




***To enter The Butcher's Boy giveway, click here. ***

Have you heard about Neil Gaiman’s new project? He is suggesting that everyone give an age-appropriate scary book to someone this Halloween to encourage reading horror stories. Not in lieu of candy for the kids, of course, but as an extra plus. And not just for children, but for anyone. Click here for more information.

I love this idea so much that I have a special treat for you, dear readers. I have teamed up with best-selling horror and fantasy author Michael Robb Mathias to bring you a unique All Hallow’s Read Giveaway.

Michael is offering one audio book and five Kindle copies of his terrifying novel, The Butcher’s Boy, winner of the 2011 Readers Favorite Award Silver Medal in Horror - Fiction.

Thirty-one years ago, Buxly the Butcher went to trial for killing his entire family. He was found guilty, and sentenced to die for those crimes. Now, Janet Hale, a recently divorced nurse, has purchased the house unaware of the brutal murders that took place there so long ago. 

From the moment she, her eleven-year-old son, and his overprotective Rottweiler move in, bad things start to happen. A strange man is caught lurking in the back yard, and the only neighbor turns out to be a crazy old widow. But not everything is going wrong. During the move, Janet meets a handsome charmer. She likes him enough to start dating again, leaving a sitter to watch over her son. 

When Michael, and his dog, Lucy-Fur, learn firsthand that their home is haunted by one of the victims of the Butcher's grisly act, Michael scours the internet and the local library to find out what happened back then. Maggie, the sitter, brings over a Ouija board and they soon find out that there is more than one dark spirit on the haunt.  

Can Lucy-Fur protect her boy from the angry ghost that wants to possess him? Can Michael fight through the madness and terror to find out what really happened? If he does, maybe the tormented souls can be put to rest, and his mom can keep the house that she seems to love. If he fails, he just might become one of them. With the help of Maggie, and a burned out house painter, Michael is going to try. The problem is, not everyone is who they seem...not even the dead.  

Here is what reviewers had to say about The Butcher’s Boy.

“This book is not your typical horror story. The author's work can be compared to Stephen King and Dean Koontz. Like their books, this plot takes you to unexpected places. There are twists and turns that keep the reader guessing: ghosts slipping in and out of bodies both living and dead, shadows and bumps in the night are the least of the main characters' worries in this book. Fans of horror will not want to miss this creepy story.” — Readers Favorite 2011 International Book Award Contest Review

“The novel is a suspenseful page-turner with well-developed characters. Even Lucy the Rottweiler is a round character. The specters, too, have solid personalities... renders them even scarier.” —ForeWord Magazine

Join us on Friday for a flash fiction excerpt of The Butcher’s Boy and the chance to win an audio book or Kindle copy. Winners will be announced on Halloween.

***To enter The Butcher's Boy giveway, click here. ***




3 comments:

Kelly Hashway said...

Very cool idea!

Leah Griffith said...

Brrrrrr! I'm shivering. I'm such a scaredy cat. I can't watch or read horror...I'm too sensitive. LOL!!! I admit, sometimes I feel as though I'm missing out, but then when I read the stuff it really spooks me. This could have something to do with my step dad forcing me to go to the drive-in with him to watch horror flicks. I used to close my eyes and block my ears. No. I still close my eyes and block my ears, and it's tough to turn a page while doing that;)

Anonymous said...

Leah, DO NOT read The Butcher's Boy then. Fair warning, it gets scary and not so much gory, but brutal.