Thursday, October 18, 2012

The Next Big Thing


“The Next Big Thing” is a fun blogger tag game in which participants answer the following questions about their works in progress.

I have been tagged by Richard Bon and Beverly Diehl. Richard is the talented creative force behind Liminal Fiction and miscellany and Beverly pens the amazing Writing in Flow, which throughout the month of October is focusing on the issue of domestic violence. Thanks to both of them for thinking of me.

Okay, here goes.

What is the working title of your book?

The Bibliophiles: Book Three. Sorry, that’s all I have right now.

Where did the idea come from for the book?

For the next novel, I wanted another juxtaposition of characters. Book club members Thaddeus and Spring seem to go together in that they are both on the fringe of society and caught in time warps. Spring is a leftover flower child, while Thaddeus wishes he was back in Jane Austen’s days. However, their upbringings could not be more different. Thaddeus suffered from a lack of freedom, while Spring had entirely too much.

What genre does your book fall under?

Contemporary fiction or women’s fiction.

Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?

No idea. I like to envision them as they come alive on the page, not by people that already exist.

Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?

Self-published. I am indie all the way.

How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?

Don’t know. I haven’t started it yet. I have notes and a few scenes, but I have just finished a digital holiday short and am working on some holiday promotions. Then I will start writing this next book.

Who or what inspired you to write this book?

I love the idea of writing people who feel trapped in the wrong time period. I’m also excited to write my first male protagonist.

What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?

Everything, of course! I mean, who wouldn’t think that a kid whose parents were hippies and a prissy anglophile would naturally go together?

Tag! You're it! 

Karen Cantwell
Julia Munroe Martin
Becky Povich
Rena J. Traxel
Unpublished Life

Here are the questions from which to choose.


What is the working title of your book?
Where did the idea come from for the book?
What genre does your book fall under?
Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
Who or what inspired you to write this book?
What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?



5 comments:

BECKY said...

Hi Karen! Thank you very much for nominating me! Since I already participated in this last month, and since you said it would be fine to post it again, I'll put that blog post link here: http://beckypovich.blogspot.com/search/label/Next%20Big%20Thing
Thanks again!

Unpublished Life said...

Hi Karen,

Thank you so much for tagging me. I came across this game last week and posted on it. It's a great link-up for writers!

Have a look:

http://unpublishedworksofme.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/work-in-progress-blog-hop.html

Great hearing a little more about your WIP!

Julia Munroe Martin said...

Thank you so much for tagging me, Karen! I'll let you know when I post! Your current WIP sounds fascinating and I love the concept of people who feel trapped in the wrong time period (I've felt like that at times myself in life!).

Rena J. Traxel said...

Thanks!

Beverly Diehl said...

I've often felt like I should've been born 10 years earlier - a flower child out of my time.

Then there's all the "princess" fantasies, but I think I'd just want to visit medieval times, not live there. The business about fleas and ticks and hanging one's clothes in the privy so the odor will discourage moths - not appealing.

Looking forward to the Christmas tome. :-)