Friday, November 9, 2012

Flash Fiction Fridays: The Cure?


The Butterfly Effect
By Karina Kantas


Who would volunteer their face for a scientific experiment? Well I wouldn’t. Neither would any sane member of the public, which is why inmates serving life sentences were handed over for this government project. By the time the bill passed, freedom of speech had been demolished, so there were very few demonstrations. Now famous chemist, biologists and DNA experts had one year to perfect an antidote for ugliness.

Being branded ugly put you in a new class, the lowest in society. Ugly people were shunned and segregated by the butterflies of the modem regime. Forced to live and work in the poorest parts of the country. However, even that wasn’t enough to satisfy the beautiful people. It was announced that if the wondrous treatment did not work, then drastic measures would be taken.

I swallowed the bile that rose in my throat as I barely glanced at the deformed face of what used to be Prisoner X. Taking a deep breath, I forced myself to look again, before turning to Dr. Sapphire Turner.

“That’s nothing,” she said, her brilliant teeth beaming their brightness at me, her voice soft like her young glowing skin. “You should have seen the last batch. It was like looking at the face of a jellied corpse.” Her perfectly proportioned breast bounced as she laughed.


Jellied corpse seemed a valid description of what I was looking at, I thought. My stomach wouldn’t digest a worse vision.

Prisoner X’s skin had mutated into large puss filled abscesses As I watched, the skin bubbled and new boils appeared and then burst with a squelch. The vile stench of the mucus, as it ran down the crusty skin and soaked into the now lime green pillow, made me want to vomit. Covering my mouth and turning my head away from the sight, I swallowed the acidic saliva in my mouth before addressing the stunning Doctor.

“So what went wrong with this one?” I asked.

“Nothing,” she chirped. “The result is what we expected.”

Her hand touched my shoulder, but it was quickly removed in disgust.

“It’s trial and error at this point, but we’ll find a cure.”

The way she used the word cure made my skin crawl. Ugliness wasn’t a disease. Who gave them the fucking right to judge?

I would never have classed myself as ugly, but the yellow arm band I was forced to wear told me there were others that did. It doesn’t matter that I’m one of the lucky ones; permitted to continue working among perfection. I remain an outcast waiting for my sentencing: beatification or annihilation.


Karina Kantas is the author of five biker fiction novels, including her latest, Road Rage. She also writes urban thriller, fantasy, science fiction, horror, romance, and suspense, and has more than thirty pieces published in journals and E-zines. For more information about Karina, visit her website.





5 comments:

Kelly Hashway said...

This was a nice break from my fast drafting.

Karen Wojcik Berner said...

Glad we can be of service, Kelly. Good luck with your new project.

Leah Griffith said...

This is a book I'd read. I love the idea and the writing is great. Well done!

jerri connell said...

this is an edge of your seat thriller...only wish there was more of it to read. Very nice...i look forward to the next.

Beverly Diehl said...

Karen, may I state how much I loathe the captcha on each comment? Please consider taking it off - Google spam filter grabs most of the spam I get, anyway, even without the ID feature.

Okay, back to bidness - this was a delightfully creep story, I loved (and shuddered at) the weeping pus and idea that all who were not beautiful were to be science experiments.