Monday, January 21, 2013

Honoring the Promise of Hope


Today we are celebrating Martin Luther King Day in the U.S.

I have written about Dr. King a few times here on Bibliophilic Blather. I analyzed his writing and speech-making skills on Editing for Grammarphobes in January 2011 and participated in a blogfest about discrimination in our times organized by Beverly Diehl at Writing in Flow in 2012.




His message of true equality for all resonates in my soul, no matter what issues our country faces or how much vitriol was thrown President Obama's way throughout last year's campaign, throughout his entire presidency, really.

Today is also Inauguration Day. I read somewhere that President Obama will place his hand on Dr. King's bible as he takes the Oath of Office.

"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

And as he does so, hope for a better America will blanket this country, even if only for one day.


Good luck, Mr. President. May the muses of wisdom, fairness, and justice guide you through your next four years.






No comments: