Monday, April 8, 2013

Woot! A Blog Award


Thank you so much to Lee Zamloch for giving Bibliophilic Blather a blog award last week, which was a lovely surprise on a Monday morning. Lee came up with eleven questions for the writers she mentioned, so here are my responses.


Why did you begin blogging?

I started blogging after I released my first novel, A Whisper to a Scream, when the conventional wisdom was that all authors should have blogs to build their platforms. I wanted to provide something that others might not, so I started “Editing for Grammarphobes” and “Flash Fiction Fridays,” which featured microfiction from writers of all genres. Unfortunately, it ate away at too much of my writing time, so I had to cut back a bit.  I will have some “Editing for Grammarphobes” segments sporadically throughout the year, though.

How long have you been a writer?

Eons, really. Since my sophomore year in college,1985, when I sold my first article to my local paper.

What is your favorite blog besides your own?

I read several on a weekly basis. My favorites are listed in the right column. Check them out. They are fantastic and very informative.

Where do you do your best thinking?

In the shower.

Where do you do your best writing?

In the shower. Just kidding. Besides, I’m not sure where to buy waterproof paper. I only used it once, in high school when I was a football stat charting defensive plays in the pouring rain. I mainly write in my office, on the kitchen table, anywhere the muse strikes, or in Starbucks.



How do you handle writer's block?

I edit or work on something else. Change of project helps me gain perspective on the one that is not flowing so well.

Can people be taught to write?

I think so. Whether you are a “natural” or have to work at it more, everyone should study the craft.

How much outlining do you do before beginning to write?

Not much. I like the spontaneity of creation. You never know where it’s going to take you.

Do you prefer reading fiction or nonfiction?

Fiction, all the way, although I do enjoy an occasional nonfiction book, usually about English history or literary types. And I read lots of magazines, such as Time, The Smithsonian, Bon Appetit, Cooking Light, More, O, and National Geographic. I refuse to pay for a subscription to People and instead take sneak peeks when I am at the chiropractor’s office or at the hairdresser’s.

Who (or what) are your greatest influences?

The classics—Jane Austen, Virginia Woolf, Charlotte Bronte, William Shakespeare— as well as many modern writers, including Anne Tyler, Maeve Binchy, and Joyce Carol Oates.

If you could interview anyone, who would it be?

This is a rough one. Right now, I am fascinated by Joyce Carol Oates. She’s a writing beast, really. Do you follow her on Twitter? Her insights are incredible, and she’s already put out two novels this year. Crazy.

So, dear readers, how about you? How would you answer some of these questions? 

Do you think writing can be taught? 

Where do you do your best thinking? 

Fiction or nonfiction?


Big Al's Books and Pals Readers' Choice Award Update

Well, sad to say, dear readers, that Until My Soul Gets It Right did not win the readers' choice award in contemporary fiction, but congratulations to all the winners, especially Laurie Boris who did. Her novel, Drawing Breath, is an excellent piece of writing, so I am very happy for her. Thank you so much for all of your support and votes.





2 comments:

Kelly Hashway said...

Congrats on the award. I love getting to know writers better like this.

Unpublished Life said...

congratulations on the award:) Loved your answers ...

Ohhh, do I think writing can be taught? I think the skill can be taught, but I do think that there is just something (an x-factor if you will) that you cannot teach. It's the thing that distinguishes good writers from great writers ... just my 2 cents:)

My best thinking is done in the bath or when I am walking home from work (its a good 40mins in the rain and cold and really gets my juices flowing).

And fiction. All the way:) Although, I do like reading diaries of writers and actors etc. too.

Have a great rest of your week.