Monday, August 5, 2013

Bibliomania


AUGUST 12, 2013 UPDATE: I have just returned from a lovely vacation in the Boston, MA, area with three more books. I really couldn't help myself. I mean, I was at Louisa May Alcott's Orchard House (setting of Little Women), Nathaniel Hawthorne's famous House of the Seven Gables, and Henry David Thoreau's Walden Pond. What's a Bibliophile to do????? I will write more about my literary travel adventures soon, after my reassimilation back into work life. 

It's official. I'm a book addict. There must be a better word for that, something stronger than "bibliophile." Bibliophilia, maybe? Let's see. ((riffles through dictionary)). Nope. No such word according to Merriam-Webster, but I'm sure I saw it somewhere. Oh, well. Wait, here's one. "Bibliomania." It means "an extreme preoccupation with collecting books." Yes, that's it!


My on-deck circle, to borrow a phrase from baseball, now fills almost an entire bookshelf. Funny, the only time I was a real baseball fan was at age ten, when I would hurry home from school to watch the Cubs. If I ran, I could make it in time for the National Anthem on days when the games started at three o'clock.


My husband joked that I would need at least two weeks of vacation to read all of these, the delight of which I did ponder for a bit, but then I realized I am very much looking forward to visiting the Boston area with my family. I guess I'll have to take on the challenge of making it through the pile one by one throughout the year while writing the third and fourth Bibliophiles novels AND stop buying any new books until I finish these.

I think I can do it.

Unless...

Hey, have you heard about Neil Gaiman's latest? It's getting great reviews. Or how about Joe Hill's Heart-Shaped Box? Cool premise, right?

Oh no!






13 comments:

angel011 said...

Neil Gaiman's "The Ocean at the End of the Lane" is really wonderful. It reminded me a lot of Jo Walton's "Among Others", which is a great read for every book lover.

I'm not helping, am I?

Karen Wojcik Berner said...

LOL, angel011. We just can't help it, can we?

Deborah said...

"A fate", that's right on the nail!Enjoy your trip, Karen.

brenda said...

I don't think it's such bad thing. You're not alone. Reading is a beautiful guilty pleasure. I know I can't help it myself, and to be honest, I wouldn't if I could.

Karen Wojcik Berner said...

Very true, Brenda!

Karen Wojcik Berner said...

Thanks for stopping by, Deborah! I'm already halfway through "The Lace Reader." :)

Tammy said...

I'm a bibliomaniac too! I picked up Joe Hill's book last year and remember thinking it was very Stephen King-esque while I was reading it. The apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Just found your blog, and I've bookmarked it. Just finished reading The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson. I told myself I wouldn't go to Powell's Bookstore while I was in Oregon this time. I almost made it, but had to stop at the airport store before my flight!

Tammy
www.TammySetzerDenton.com

Julia Munroe Martin said...

I have way way too many books, too, but I do keep buying them. For one thing our tastes change. For another thing we must keep up with new books coming out! p.s. I have never been to the House of Seven Gables and it's on my list -- I'm SO jealous!

Karen Wojcik Berner said...

Tammy, so glad you found us. Lovely to meet another bibliophile!

Julia, the House of the Seven Gables is pretty cool. The Customs House where Hawthorne worked while he was in Salem is also open for tours. Gotta love literary history!

Chrys Fey said...

Collecting and reading books is my passion too! So I guess I'm a bibliophile too. :) Some of the books in the picture you posted are also on my list of books to read, and I can't wait to read about your literary travels!

Karen Wojcik Berner said...

Chrys, let me know which ones--we can discuss them. :) Wonderful to meet another bibliophile! So glad you stopped by!

Unpublished Life said...

What do you call someone obsessed with collecting E-Books?? I have hundreds of them and I don't think I'll be able to read them in my lifetime (I am a slow reader and a bit sporadic too ... ) But, I just need to have those little icons on my screen.

Your literary travels sound so exciting! Cannot wait to hear all about it!!

Karen Wojcik Berner said...

Totally get your addiction to ebooks as well, Unpublished Life. Being able to download them with just a click makes it really difficult to resist. Believe me, I have quite the to-read list on my iPad!