Thursday, November 21, 2013

#NaNoWriMo, Crutches, and Me

I can't believe November's almost over. 

I had decided to do my own version of NaNoWriMo this month, and was blissfully working on my super-secret WIP, when a Baker's cyst ruptured behind my knee. I never knew what a Baker's cyst was, muchless knew I had one. Unfortunately, I have been on crutches for almost two weeks now. 

The upside of all this is that the only thing I can really do while sitting with my leg elevated is read and write. No chores. No cooking. No errands. No anything, really. I have pretty much been a shut-in, except for one doctor visit and my son's orchestra concert, for which I was going to drag my sorry ass out no matter what. He had a solo, and I was determined to see it. (He killed it, by the way. His father and I are very proud.)

Although I won't make my initial deadline of a solid first draft before Thanksgiving, I do have 20,000 more words than I did before the rupture, so I'm happy with that. I have also been writing every day, as best as I can, which is a wonderful way to convalesce. 


I have read two books thus far and am halfway through another. The Beginner's Goodbye, by Anne Tyler, was a lovely, quiet novel about a middle-aged man coming to terms with the death of his wife after a tree strikes their house. I really enjoyed Neil Gaiman's The Ocean at the End of the Lane, a magical, mythical spellbinding tale of an incident one summer in a young boy's life. It had the same feel as The Graveyard Book, another Gaiman novel I just loved. It was truly a treat to witness such great writing from both of these amazing authors. Now, I'm onto The Mezzanine, a quirky little piece about the daily minutia of corporate life, by Nicholson Baker.


 

Hopefully, I will be off crutches on Monday. We shall see. In the meantime, I'll keep working on my living room chair, in my make-shift writing station, and figure out Thanksgiving dinner menu options, secure in the knowledge this year's feast will be lovingly cooked by Whole Foods instead of me.

You know, somehow, that doesn't sound half bad, does it?



7 comments:

Harvee said...

Isn't it wonderful to have such good choices in books and in writing while one convalesces? Hope you are off those crutches soon. I also enjoyed Gaiman's book.

Beverly Diehl said...

Yikes, sorry about the Baker's cyst, sounds painful and scary. But how wonderful to be FORCED to do nothing but write and read.

Karen Wojcik Berner said...

Harvee and Beverly, there are definitely many worse things than this, to be sure. I'm lucky my husband has picked up all of my slack. I could get used to not cooking every day. :)

Kelly Hashway said...

Well I'm sorry to hear about the cyst, but it sounds like your recovery isn't so bad. Writing and reading is a great way to pass the time until you heal. :)

Karen Wojcik Berner said...

Absolutely, Kelly!

Leah Griffith said...

Gee Karen, you almost make me wish I had a Baker's cyst. Of course the optimal word is "almost". LOL! I guess what I'm trying to say is that you make convalescing sound inviting. I haven't been reading, except for at bedtime, and I usually fall asleep with my Kindle in my hands after about 15 minutes. I really miss reading.
Anyway, I am so glad that you're getting better. I've been thinking of you and am sending healing hug energy your way;)

Karen Wojcik Berner said...

Thanks, Leah. :) I'm getting better slowly but surely.