Monday, January 6, 2014

Favorite Books of 2013

Happy New Year, everyone!

I've decided to start out 2014 with a quick look back at my top three favorite books of the year.

Number Three: UNDRESSING MR. DARCY by Karen Doornebos 


This delightful offering by the author of Definitely Not Mr. Darcy is mostly set in the world of Jane Austen festivals and annual conferences, two in the states and one in Bath, England. Although packed with educational seminars and afternoon teas, these meetings take on the air of almost a Comic Con for Janeites, which is really fun. Anyone who loves Jane Austen is sure to love this book.

Look for my full review next week.

Number Two: THE OCEAN AT THE END OF THE LANE by Neil Gaiman


I absolutely loved this story! Part fantasy, part myth, with a healthy dose of magic, Gaiman spins an other-worldly tale that mesmerized me completely. Everyone should read this book. No joke. It's that good.

And my favorite book of the year? Drum roll, please.

Number One: THE WOMAN UPSTAIRS by Claire Messud



The Woman Upstairs begins with one of the best rants I have read in a long time — perhaps that I have ever read — that sums up being a woman of my age. It hooked me after the first sentence, it is that good. So good, in fact that I bought the hardcover because I knew I would want to read it periodically throughout the rest of my life. I still think about Messud's Nora every once in awhile. Her situation. Her life. Her ultimate betrayal. This is an excellent piece of work.

So, what were some of your favorite books from 2013?






3 comments:

Kelly Hashway said...

These all sound great. Thanks so much for sharing them. :)

Harvee said...

I gave my son Gaiman's book for Christmas and hope he reads it! Undressing Mr. Darcy sounds like an entertaining read! Nice choices!

Claudine G. said...

Whoa, this is the second time this week I hear about The Woman Upstairs. I have it, as well as The Ocean, on my to-read list. Time to bump both up! Great selections, Karen. I think my favourite reads in 2013 are Walk Two Moons (a middle-grade novel) and Great Expectations.