Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Wait, what? It's Almost 2015???

When I started writing this "Favorite Books of 2014" post, I realized I hadn't read very much this year. Granted, I did polish off seven full-sized novels and four short stories, a smattering of entries in anthologies, a novella or two, several monthly magazines, and a god-knows-how-many online news articles.

But still not very many books for a bibliophile.

I had a good reason, though.

I finished writing and editing two novels of my own.

During the writing process, I'm very careful what I read, so it doesn't break my concentration on the novel at hand. It's sort of like method acting. I surround myself with things that keep me in the mood of the piece I am writing, whether they be books, music, or movies. Anything to keep in touch with the muse, right?

So, although my list is small, I truly enjoyed most of what I read in 2014. Here are my top five favorites.

1. Longbourn by Jo Baker.

A Jane Austen "Upstairs, Downstairs"? Please. Reel me in.


2. NOS4A2 by Joe Hill.

Joe Hill is an excellent horror writer. Dare I say even better, perhaps, than his father?


3. The Sea Garden by Deborah Lawrenson.

Deborah Lawrenson's writing is beautiful, poetic prose that provokes the senses.


4. American Gods by Neil Gaiman.

It's Neil Gaiman. That's really all that needs to be said.


5. Painting the Moon by Traci Borum.

Traci Borum created another "reel me in" novel of artists, a little town in England, and sweet romance. Painting the Moon is really a lovely little book.


How about you? What books did you love during 2014?




2 comments:

Leanne Dyck said...

I review books on my blog -- and so did a review on these reviews in my latest post. Two of the books were written by Stephen King.
Joe Hill -- that name sounded so familiar. I know who that is, I told myself. Or I should. I did a little search and...
You're saying he's a better writer than Stephen King? What?
Okay, he's going on my must-read list, right now.

Karen Wojcik Berner said...

Truly, Leanne, Joe Hill is fantastic.