Location, Location, Location...in A Groovy Kind of Love

Happy Monday. Hope everyone had a great weekend. It was a little warmer here in Chicagoland, which was fantastic, even though I was inside for much of Sunday at my son's indoor lacrosse showcase. Still, it was better than driving in the snow like we did last week, that's for sure!

Still euphoric over the release of A Groovy Kind of Love and all of the positive reviews that keep coming in, today I thought you'd might like to see some of the sights that influenced the book's settings.


First, there's Thaddeus's boyhood home in the Irving Park neighborhood of Chicago. I grew up not that far away in Elmwood Park, which is what I call a city-suburb, not officially part of Chicago, but on the boarder, so it feels way more like a city than an actual suburb like, say, Naperville.


Photo courtesy of www.wbez.com.


When I was growing up, Irving Park was famous for the Buffalo Ice Cream Parlor. Here's a photo of it back in the day. It's closed now, but most people who grew up when Thaddeus and I did visited on more than one occasion.






The Chicago Cultural Center used to be the library at one point, definitely circa 1970 when Thaddeus received his library card when he turned five. It's a spectacular building with the glorious largest Tiffany stained-glass dome and quotes about books that line the walls in mosaic splendor. When I worked downtown, I'd come here for the Dame Myra Hess concerts during my lunch break for chamber music that was my little oasis of peace within my deadline-filled days with Fire Chief magazine.

Photo courtesy of The City of Chicago official website.

Photo courtesy of www.visitoakpark.com.


Spring's college was inspired by my own. With its neo-gothic architecture, gorgeous old trees, and cloister walk, I knew this was the place for me as soon as I stepped foot on campus. A few other buildings and a parking structure have been added since I graduated. Heck, even the name changed from Rosary College to Dominican University, but the spirit remains the same, and it will always hold a special place in my heart.









Here's a picture of the Alfred Rubin Community Center in Naperville, where I envisioned the Bibliophiles book club meetings took place.

Photo courtesy of www.napervilleparks.org.

Photo courtesy of Biz Yellow.



This is the building where I imagined Ambrosia, the Pearson's juice bar, to be, right across from the Riverwalk. Funny coincidence that a Red Mango yogurt and smoothie place moved in a bit ago, but I had already created Ambrosia before Red Mango came to town.







And here's the gorgeous Meson Sabika restaurant where Thaddeus and Spring had their first date. The perfect location, don't you think?
Photo courtesy of Positively Naperville.
Well, I hope you've enjoyed this little tour of some of the locations in my latest release, A Groovy Kind of Love, which is available in paperback at Amazon and Barnes and Noble. The ebooks are sold at Amazon, Barnes and Noble, the Apple iBookstore, Smashwords, and Kobo. Don't forget to add it to your shelf at Goodreads. Thanks much.



Comments

Chrys Fey said…
I love seeing the settings for your book, Karen! It always nice to see the places that inspire writers while reading their stories. :)
Kelly Hashway said…
Fun tour of your book's setting! It's great to see deeper into how a setting was created, and since I've never been to Chicago, it's fun for me to see these pics.
Claudine G. said…
So many scenes to like. I thought the second one was somewhere I'd love to walk down, and the third just stole me. I imagine you sitting in there, surrounded by the quietly beautiful glass ceiling/windows and listening to classical music. What a lunch break!
Patricia said…
I think it's a great idea to show readers what the locations in our stories actually look like. I think it gives a deeper meaning to the story . Thanks!

Popular posts from this blog

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: 'F' It All

I'm on Location

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: Which, What, Who?