Writing About All Kinds of Love




Posted by KAREN WOJCIK BERNER

Writing each book is a great learning experience, and A Groovy Kind of Love was no exception. Cheshire Cat's Looking Glass blog asked me three things I learned while writing this latest novel. Here are my answers.

1. My co-protagonist Spring Pearson’s mother and father were Hippies. There’s a common misconception that all Hippies did was smoke pot, listen to music, and roll around in the mud at Woodstock. While I’m sure a few did, that’s definitely not all. Many marched for civil rights, protested the Vietnam War, and truly believed they could change the world and its societal ills.

My father was delirious with joy I was only a toddler in the mid- to late sixties, because he was sure if I were older, I would have been out there protesting with the Hippies, and he would have had to bail me out of jail on several occasions. He’s right.

2. The other co-protagonist, Thaddeus Mumblegarden IV, plays baseball, much to his dismay and to the delight of his overbearing father. You know how Little League baseball players can only pitch a few innings at a time? I found out why. There’s a condition called Little League elbow. Too much of the repetitive motion of pitching can injure young children’s growth plates and cause arm deformities.

3. Did you know there’s a rose called “Always and Forever”? It has velvety, ruby red petals. Thaddeus plants these gorgeous flowers in their garden for his new bride.

Which brings me to the main thing I learned while writing A Groovy Kind of Love. Actually, “remembered” might be a better word. After I was done writing and began reading through my draft, I realized it’s really a book that celebrates love of all sorts, from the obvious romantic love of a new couple, to the love of non-perfect families, to the love of books that brings the Bibliophiles book club members together. All kinds of loves swirl around us every day.

And that, as Spring’s parents Bob and Donna Pearson would say, really is pretty groovy.


Comments

Chrys Fey said…
There are a lot of misconceptions about hippies, just like with witches, which is what I've been blogging about lately.

There are many different forms of love, and writers should write about them all, if they can.

I didn't know about that rose. I'm going to Google it! ;)
It's really beautiful, the Always and Forever rose. I'm interested to sit down and read your latest blog post, Chrys. I'll be over there soon. Thanks for reading.
Kelly Hashway said…
Promoting all kinds of love is a great thing, Karen. :) It sounds like your book does a good job of it.

Popular posts from this blog

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: 'F' It All

I'm on Location

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: Which, What, Who?