Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: Halloween Edition





Every Wednesday, Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0 features handy tips to enhance all of our writing, from daily emails to articles to books. After all, everyone needs to write, right?



Boo! With Halloween right around the corner, today's Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0 takes a decidedly dastardly turn to discuss spooky words and how to spell them. Happy Halloween, my friends.

Apparition


An apparition is an unusual or unexpected sight. It also can mean a ghostly figure. 

Bloodcurdling


Notice there is no hyphen for the word that means arousing fright. 

Cemetery


For years, I thought cemetery was spelled cemetary. Oh, the horror!

Frightening


With an "en" in the middle. I say "fright-ten-ing" when I'm typing it, so I don't forget.


Mausoleum


A mausoleum is a large, above-ground tomb. It also can be used to describe a large gloomy room or building. 

Here are some other Halloween posts you might enjoy.



















Comments

angel011 said…
Speaking of cemeteries, "Pet Sematary", anyone? :) Happy Halloween!
It amuses me when people write "lightening" instead of "lightning" yet they write "frightning" instead of "frightening."
You're right, angel011. I've never understood why King chose to spell it like that. Hope you have a great Halloween!
Not sure why some people mix those two up, Kelly. I'll blame it on English as a goofy language?!?

Popular posts from this blog

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: 'F' It All

I'm on Location

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: Which, What, Who?