The Death of the Oprah Dream

Posted by KAREN WOJCIK BERNER


Today, “The Oprah Winfrey Show” begins its final season. I don’t know about you, but this leaves me empty, morose and wanting to crawl back into bed, never to surface again. However, this reaction is not due to the impending absence of the program in my life, although I have been a viewer on and off for many of her years on TV. No, it goes far deeper than that. It means I must let go of my “Oprah Dream.”

I bet many of you have the same one. I am standing backstage at Harpo Studios. The frenzied audience is screaming. Then Oprah utters the magic words, “This book really touched my heart. It is truly one of the best novels I have ever read. Here she is, the author of A Whisper to a Scream, Karen Wojcik Berner!” Audience members jump to their feet. I am greeted by thunderous applause and a warm embrace from the Queen of Media.

Looking spectacular, as everyone does who appears on “Oprah” after her stylists and makeup artists work on you, I sit opposite the woman who singlehandedly did more to raise book sales than anyone on the planet and engage in a pleasant conversation, which all revolves around me and my writing. How she loves the characters. Where I get my ideas from. Who do I think should play the lead roles of Annie and Sarah in the movie, which will undoubtedly be in production after this glorious day.

It is the Holy Grail of publishing, and it will be no more.

I wish Oprah well and admire what she has accomplished throughout her career. She has empowered countless women through her communications empire, and I honor her for that. I just have one request. Please devote some programming time on your new cable network to the literary scene. We really need you. And thanks for all you have done.

Most of this blog first appeared in 2009 on my Red Room site. I thought it was fitting to reprint it here today.

Comments

JC Phelps said…
I didn't realize it was her last season. I too have watched off and on throughout the years.

I never did let my mind get too far ahead of itself with the Oprah Dream, however. I didn't dare give it much thought for fear of never realizing that dream. Might not have been all that bad of a thing?
KindleClay said…
She was a strong force in the sales of books. Very powerful. It will be intriguing to watch what she does next.

Golly, she's richer than old king Midas!

Good luck to Oprah!

Popular posts from this blog

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: 'F' It All

I'm on Location

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: Which, What, Who?