Editing for Grammarphobes: The Grammar Grinch

Posted by KAREN WOJCIK BERNER




I love the holidays, but one thing guaranteed to bring out my inner Grinch is the most common grammatical error of the season -- the use of reindeers. That’s right, reindeers.

Ladies and gentlemen, reindeers do not exist. There are only reindeer. Reindeer is a singular and plural word referring to the large Arctic deer who pull Santa’s sleigh.

I have heard this error in songs and carols, as well as misspoken on city streets, and it jolts me every time like a sprig of holly through my heart.

So, please remember to use reindeer in your holiday writing and conversations. It will make the season a more pleasurable one, especially for all of the grammar grinches like me. Thank you.


Jane Austen’s Birthday

Tomorrow is the greatest holiday in literary history. Please join me for an encore posting of “Jane and Me,” which chronicles my visit to Jane Austen’s home in Chawton, Hampshire, England.


Flash Fiction Fridays

I close out this year with a piece by Sharon Cupp Pennington. Be sure not to miss this wonderful story.

Comments

Joylene Butler said…
You've a right to be ticked. I'm guilty of doing this very thing way too often. Strange though, I never write Deers. Hmm. Maybe it's a Christmas thingy.
Maybe. You know, sometimes when words are misspoken too often, the incorrect version slips into the vernacular, which is unfortunate.

Thanks for reading.

Popular posts from this blog

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: 'F' It All

I'm on Location

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: Which, What, Who?