The Romance Continues on Flash Fiction Fridays






Today, Bibliophilic Blather is fortunate to have two romance flash fiction stories. Love is in the air for these couples, whether they be living or dead.






Posted by KAREN WOJCIK BERNER



Under the Glass 
By Victorine Lieske


Steven Ashton squeezed Emily’s hand as the elevator lifted. “You’ll be fine.”

Her wide eyes stared up at him. “I feel naked.”

Heat rose to his cheeks, and he fiddled with his tux. “We could have kept looking…”

Emily shook her head. “It’s not the dress. Although I still think you shouldn’t have spent so much.” She ran her hand down the shiny material. “It’s the bug-under-the-glass feeling.”

Sympathy for her arose, but he knew there was nothing he could do about it. Social functions were a part of his life. If he didn’t bring her to this one, the next would be even worse. “I’m sorry. If it’s worth anything, I think you look beautiful.”

She smirked and brushed a golden curl from her face. “Thanks, but your credibility is waning after what you said last night.”

“Hey, you were beautiful when I first met you.”

“I’m sure I was a beauty queen after spending ten hours in a hot car with a four-year old and…”

Her voice caught, and Steven put his arm around her shoulder, but didn’t say anything. Nothing he could say would take away her pain. The elevator doors opened.

Emily’s heels clicked against the marble floor as they walked down the hall. No sooner had they entered when Penelope spied him. She had even more diamonds on than usual.

“Stevie,” Penelope said, taking his arm and completely ignoring Emily, “I haven’t seen you in ages. How have you been?” He tried to pull his arm back, but her grip was firm.

“Excuse me, Penelope,” he said, as politely as he could, wiggling away from her. “I’d like to introduce you to Emily,” he said, “my fiancĂ©e.” He took Emily’s hand and pulled her close. “Emily, this is Penelope.”

“Emily,” she said, her lips stretched thin across her teeth. “Nice to meet you. I’ve heard all about you.”

Emily gave her a polite nod.

Penelope’s eyes narrowed. “I heard about your awful experience, dear. How was jail? I can’t say I’ve ever been to one.”

A few heads turned in their direction. Emily’s face flushed scarlet, and she fled the room.

“You disgust me.” Steven turned to follow Emily, pleased with the look on Penelope’s face.

He saw Emily slip down the hallway and rushed to catch up with her. “Emily. Wait.” When he caught her arm she turned, and he saw mascara running down her face. “I’m so sorry, Em.”

“This isn’t going to work, Steven,” she said, looking down at her shoes. “I can’t marry you.”

“Forget her. You’re the only one that matters.” He slid his arm around her waist and drew her close. “I love you, Emily. I don’t care about the past.”

He wiped a tear from her cheek with his thumb, and pressed his lips on hers. He didn’t hold back his hunger for her. When he broke away, she smiled. “Do that a few more times and I won’t care about the past either.”



Victorine Lieske is the author of the Not What She Seems. She and her husband live in Nebraska, where they own and operate Victorine Originals Rubber Stamps from their home while raising their four children. Lieske has a bachelor’s degree in art from BYU Idaho and designs many of the rubber stamps they sell. 


















Dead People
By Edie Ramer


Luke stared at the ghost the way teenagers stared at rock stars, and Cassie knew why. Joe looked too alive to be dead. Like a regular guy in his leather jacket, dressed retro, down to the Elvis haircut.

“What’re you staring at?” Joe hooked his thumbs in his belt. “Haven’t you ever seen a ghost before?”

Cassie fanned her hand in front of her mouth and choked.

“What’s the matter?” Joe’s aggression turned to concern and he zapped down the stairs to Cassie’s side.

“I’m having trouble breathing,” Cassie said. “The testosterone’s getting too thick.”

He gave her a slow smile. “Live with it, doll-face. I don’t plan on going anywhere.”

Cassie turned to Luke instead. His expression had changed, as cold as winter. “Luke, meet Joe. Joe, meet Luke, my former client.”

Joe floated closer to Cassie, not quite touching her. Glancing at him, she saw a challenge in his hooded eyes.

Luke skewed his gaze to Cassie. “How the hell does a ghost have testosterone?”

“Joe’s exceptional.”

“It’s not my stuff polluting the air,” Joe said. “I didn’t fire a woman because I couldn’t control myself.”

Luke didn’t reply, but his neck broadened, a cord standing out, and his jaw tensed as hard as his fists.

“Joe.” Cassie reached out, but pulled back before touching him. “It’s okay. I’m glad I’m not working here anymore.”

“You sure?”

Cassie looked Luke straight in the eyes, giving him the message that she meant every word. She wanted out of this roller coaster that was eating her alive. These stupid, stupid, stupid feelings she had for him. “Yes. Let’s get out of here.” Get the hell out and far, far away.

Striding toward the front door, she was aware of Luke’s eyes on her back, her skin prickling.

She exited the house, not looking back. Not this time. This time it was bye-bye-baby-goodbye. 



Edie Ramer loves her cat so much, she made her the heroine of Cattitude, her first paranormal romance. Her second book, Dead People, book one of her "Haunted Hearts" series, was a finalist in the American Title V international romance writing contest. She lives in Wisconsin with her husband, two dogs and the original Belle the Cat. To learn more about Edie and her books, visit her website



         

Comments

Edie Ramer said…
Karen, thanks for posting my excerpt from Dead People. It was fun reading Victorine's excerpt, too.
Thanks so much for your contribution.

Popular posts from this blog

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: Which, What, Who?

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: 'F' It All

I'm on Location