Editing for Grammarphobes: A Quick Tip for a Thursday

Posted by KAREN WOJCIK BERNER



I apologize for missing my Wednesday post. I am running the Book Fair at my son’s school, which is monopolizing most of my week. Frankly, I forgot yesterday was Wednesday until too late.

Here’s a writing quickie, courtesy of Strunk and White’s The Elements of Style.

Exclamation points should be used only after true exclamations or commands. Do not emphasize simple statements by using them.

Examples

Correct: What wonderful weather we are having! 
Incorrect: We are having wonderful weather! 
Correct: Halt! Who goes there?

Overusing exclamations makes writing seem silly. It is best to use them sparingly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm on Location

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: Which, What, Who?

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: 'F' It All