Talk to Me

Posted by KAREN WOJCIK BERNER



Hello. Please sit down. May I offer you some tea? Iced or hot?

I need to discuss Flash Fiction Fridays with you. You see, I’m not quite sure what to do about this beloved feature for August. The lack of submissions for next month’s theme of Pets/The Dog Days of Summer (approximately one) makes me inclined to think it was not as clever of an idea as I had originally thought.

Hey, what can I say? This is my first year of doing this. They are not all going to be great.

It could be because it is summer, the kids are out and everyone needs a break. It could be because several of you are busy doing blog tours and PR for your recent releases. (And if you are, please drop me a note. I would love to feature your book here.) Or, it could be because the theme is rotten. I understand all of these completely.

Whatever the reason, what should we do about August? I will run the one story I received a week from Friday, but what after? 


Are you up for a writing prompt? Perhaps I post the writing prompt for a few weeks, then the next two weeks, publish the results? Should we make it into a contest? Do you have anything you would like to write about or something you would like to see here?

Please let me know what you think in the comment section below.

And,in the meantime, here are the Flash Fiction Fridays themes and deadlines for the rest of the year.

September 2011, Getting Schooled, Due 8/29

October 2011, Nightmares, Due 10/3

November 2011, Travel, Due 11/1

December 2011, Winter, Due 11/28

Send your submissions to karen@karenberner.com. Please put "Flash Fiction Fridays" in the subject line and include a short bio and links with your story.


Coming Friday... 

We will reveal who is number one in the Flash Fiction Fridays Top Five. Who will it be?

Comments

Kelly Hashway said…
I don't really have an answer for you, but I think summers are just tough for a lot of people. I'm busier than ever and that's tough when I have a four-year-old and a 35-year-old (husband) hanging around the house most of the time.
I think you are right, Kelly. I did not start the blog until September of last year, so everyone was in full work mode when Flash Fiction Fridays began.
Beverly Diehl said…
I think my readership is down, too, though it's hard to tell. And I'm already participating in a Romance Flash Fiction "thing" on Fridays.

But maybe I'm not getting it. Can you 'splain how it works, for those of us late to the party? We write a story, submit to you, and YOU publish one on your blog each Friday? Or are we supposed to publish it on our own blog, like a blogfest?

If it's the former, I can do that - and Dog Days/Pets works fine for me. If it's the latter, it "clashes" with my other posts.
brenda said…
I have only recently understod that Fridays in the blog world can be fiction, colore me enlightened. I've been hesitate to post fiction, but since it's my preferred way of writing I might try it.. I like your topics and may give it whirl.
Beverly: Flash Fiction Fridays contributors send in a 500-word microfiction piece on their interpretations of the various monthly themes. It is another venue to showcase your work to an audience that might be different than what your blog reaches.

I do like the idea of a blogfest. Maybe you and I could discuss that later. That could be lots of fun.

Brenda: I hope you do give Flash Fiction Fridays a try. It really is a lot of fun and, as you can see from previous posts, there is a wide variety of writers who participate.

Thanks for your comments, ladies.
Libby said…
I just got your invite via Goodreads. Consider me on it. I'll try to have something to you in a week. :)
Fantastic, Libby. I am looking forward to reading your work.
Janel said…
And my answer is . . . it's me, not you or your themes. :) I'll see a post on your blog and remember that I wanted to write something to submit to you. Then the summer heat seems to vaporize those thoughts and here I am with nothing to submit. Heck, I'm barely blogging this summer. My writer brain is fogged in right now. :)
I hear you, Janel. There are never enough hours in a day. And besides, it feels good to have some downtime. We all need that as well.

Popular posts from this blog

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: Which, What, Who?

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: 'F' It All

I'm on Location