Editing for Grammarphobes: Homophones Revisited

Posted by KAREN WOJCIK BERNER



I like to bring up homophones at least once a month, because they are the bane of many writers. As you probably recall, homophones are words that are pronounced alike, but have different definitions or spellings.

Here are two more word sets sure to throw off your spell checker, courtesy of The Associated Press Stylebook and Briefing on Media Law.


Palate, Palette, Pallet 


The palate is the roof of one’s mouth.

A palette is an artist’s paint board.

A pallet is a bed.


Pedal, Peddle 

Bicycles have pedals.

To peddle means to sell something. 


Free-for-All Flash Fiction Fridays

Thanks again to all who have sent in their work for Flash Fiction Fridays' Free-for-All month, which now is scheduled to run through September. We are still in need of two more pieces, so if you have anything you would like to submit, please send it to karen@karenberner.com and put "Flash Fiction Fridays" in the subject line. Remember, no themes, no word count, open prompt. The deadline is August 29. 






Comments

Kelly Hashway said…
I love your grammarphobes. As an editor, I wish everyone would read your blog and take note of these. I correct them all the time.
Libby said…
I have such a problem with that. Seems vs seams, etc. So difficult.
Thanks, Kelly. I'm trying to get the word out. :)

Libby, it is tricky, that's for sure.
Dawn Brazil said…
I didn't think I had a problem with homophones but I have found a couple errors in my MS. Thanks for this reminding post. They are so easy to look over.
Glad I could help, Dawn. Thanks for stopping by.
Leah Griffith said…
I love that I even know what a grammarphobe is now;) I'll be needing to show this knowledge off soon. Hmmm...I must write something with pedals. *grin
No really, Thanks.
Leah
LOL. Thanks for reading, Leah.

Popular posts from this blog

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: 'F' It All

I'm on Location

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: Which, What, Who?