A Nice Review

Posted by KAREN WOJCIK BERNER



Many people think A Whisper to a Scream (The Bibliophiles: Book One) is a thriller or horror piece. It is understandable, given the title. However, it really comes from the Icicle Works song of the same name, especially the chorus lyrics.


"We are, we are,
we are but your children,
Finding our way around indecision,
We are, we are
we are ever helpless,
Take us forever,
A whisper to a scream."


The title refers to something that starts as a spark, a mere trace of an idea, but eventually grows into something that makes you want to, well, scream. 

Here is a review Whisper received recently on Goodreads. 


A WHISPER TO A SCREAM by Karen Wojcik Berner
Published by CreateSpace
ISBN-10: 145659365X
ISBN-13: 978-1456593650
Genre: Women's Fiction
At the request of the author, Karen Wojcik Berner, and WOW Tours, a digital edition was sent, at no cost to me, for my honest opinion.

(I am omitting the synopsis here, since you probably already know the basic premise from reading the blog.)


My Thoughts and Opinion: I apologize in advance because I feel I need to start this review off with a caveat. I received this request during the period of my tornado of personal issues. I vaguely remember reading the synopsis, accepted to be a part of the tour but explained that I was not sure when I would be able to read and review the book. I was also told that this was the 1st book of what was going to be a series. When things settled down a bit, I picked up my Kindle, not remembering the premise of the book (one of the negatives of the Kindle-no back cover to read), but the title grabbed me thinking it was going to be a good suspense.


I was wrong. However, what pulled me in were the characters. Sarah and Annie, the 2 main women that the story revolved around became life like from the start. The author's description of their lives, their emotions, their families was written in such a style that this reader could actually empathize with some of their situations. I also liked and thought was a plus, especially from an avid book reader's opinion, was what and how brought these 2 ladies, from different backgrounds, 2 total strangers together and that it was a Book Club. This is the type of book where you get so engrossed with the characters' lives that you feel you become part of "the friendship." It was not a mystery, but the story held me captive due to circumstances in Annie and Sarah's lives, and I needed to know what the outcome would be. I thoroughly enjoyed this read and look forward to the next in this series.


My Rating: 4 stars

Cheryl Mash's review Nov. 22, 2011

Comments

That was a good review of your book. Congrats! (hand clapping)
Kelly Hashway said…
Very nice, Karen. Congrats!
Janel said…
Wonderful! How exciting to see the great reviews rolling in. Congrats!!
It is exciting. Thanks, Janel.
Leah Griffith said…
She nailed it wonderfully! I can't wait to find out what comes next. Speaking of which...when does the next book come out? No pressure...*grin
Thanks, Leah. Book 2 is set to be released in March 2012.
R Doug Wicker said…
That is one great review, Karen. It's especially gratifying in that the work wasn't what the reviewer was expecting, yet still managed to grab their interest enough to propel them throughout the story with enough emotional impact that the reviewer grew to care about the characters.

That shows some REAL writing ability.
Thank you, R. Doug. You made my day.
Claudine said…
That's a great review, Karen. Congrats!
Thanks so much, Claudine.

Popular posts from this blog

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: 'F' It All

I'm on Location

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: Which, What, Who?