There's Music in the Air

Posted by KAREN WOJCIK BERNER




Christmas has always been a time of music for me, having sung in choirs for most of first half of my life.

Concerts. Caroling. A Madrigal.

There was always singing in my house growing up, whether we were putting up the tree or baking cookies.

I still burst out in song periodically throughout the day. Depending on the music, it either calms me or psyches me up for what lies ahead.

What is your favorite Christmas carol?

Mine is "What Child is This?" It is based on the old English hymn of "Greensleeves," which I find soothing and lovely. Speaking of English Christmas classics, I also am partial to "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen," which seems to be used in every version of A Christmas Carol I have ever watched. I also really love "The Holly and the Ivy."

"Silver Bells" reminds me of what December was like working in downtown Chicago early on in my magazine career. And "Angels We Have Heard on  High" is just really fun to sing.

As you can see, I have a very hard time narrowing it down to just one song.

How about you?

While share your choices, please enjoy this lovely musical interlude from one of the best voices of our time, Josh Groban.


Comments

angel011 said…
My country was a communist one at the time I was growing up, so I had no chance to hear Christmas carols back then. However, we did have a music box with the Silent Night melody, so I suppose that would be my favorite -- I loved it when I was little.
Kelly Hashway said…
My daughter and I listen to the Chipmunk's Christmas song about 10 times yesterday. She loves that one. I've always loved Silent Night. It's beautiful.
Deborah said…
There's something timeless about beautiful choral music. My personal favourite is A Spotless Rose by Howells. I think I'll take a cue from you and post it on my blog!

Hope you have a lovely Christmas holiday, Karen, and all the best for 2012.
My favorite Christmas soon is The Christmas Song (chestnuts roasting on an open fire) by Nat King Cole. Something about that song makes me feel like I should be drinking hot cocoa, sitting by the fireplace, while I'm draped in a comfy blanket.

Popular posts from this blog

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: Which, What, Who?

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: 'F' It All

I'm on Location