Show of Hands. Who Loves Words?

Posted by KAREN WOJCIK BERNER


I came across two great websites while researching this past week, Grandiloquent Dictionary and The Phrontistery, both of which feature obscure and long-lost words. I could not help but scan their pages, delighting in the treasure trove I had found.


These sites will come in very handy when I begin writing Thaddeus and Spring’s book in a month or so, because our dear Bibliophile Thaddeus is a rampant anglophile who delights in using archaic words.


Here is one to whet your appetite.

Q: Can you guess what redactophobia is?

(Here’s a hint. It is something quite a few writers suffer from.)

A: The fear of editing or editors.

Wish I would have known when I was working in magazines. I could have gotten a lot of mileage off of it.

Please join me Wednesday when our word fun continues with a matching game featuring some awesome locution.


A Reminder


The deadline for romance flash fiction is coming up on 1/30. A sweet love story or Lady Gaga's "Bad Romance"? Whatever your interpretation is, we would love to read it.

Send your submissions to karen@karenberner.com. Put "Flash Fiction Fridays" in the subject line and include a short bio and links (bookseller, blog, website, etc.) with your story. Please sign up to follow Bibliophilic Blather, so we can build our online writing community.

Thanks!


Comments

Beverly Diehl said…
But my words, oh my precious babies, I can't sacrifice a single one of them!

Redactophobia - been there, felt that. And got over it (mostly, though it still slithers in from time to time).
I don't have redactophobia, but I had no clue what it meant. My first guess was the fear of doing something over or back tracking. But eh, I learned something new. :-)
Janel said…
Glad the Kindles have a dictionary feature! Some of those rarely used really throw me. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: Which, What, Who?

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: 'F' It All

I'm on Location