Lucky 7 Challenge

Posted by KAREN WOJCIK BERNER




Monday, Melissa Gardiner over at My Unpublished Life tagged me in The Lucky 7 meme, a challenge for writers with WIPs.


Here are the rules:

1. Go to page 77 of your current WIP.
2. Go to line 7.
3. Copy down the next 7 lines, sentences, or paragraphs, and post them as they're written.
4. Tag seven authors.
5. Let them know.

It is a fun way to get some feedback on your work, don't you think?

So, here is page 77 of Until My Soul Gets It Right. Unfortunately, this sample hits right in the middle of dialogue between Bibliophile Catherine Elbert and Katie McLellan, the owner of Christmas Bells, on Catherine's first full day in Portland, Maine, so I'm going to post the full page so you can get a better feel for the novel.


“Overwhelming, actually. I prefer this little place. No light-up plastic Jesus. No atrocious blinking flamingo lights.”

“And here I was, hoping to buy some illuminated chili peppers for my new apartment.”

“Can’t help you. But if you were going to hang them for an end of summer margarita bash, I could be persuaded to order them if you promise to invite me.”

“Need some friends first. You are only the third person I have spoken with since I arrived.”

“Where are you from?”

“Wisconsin.”

“You’re not a Packer fan, are you? My husband hates them.”

“No way. My brothers are, so, therefore, I am not.”

“Good girl. So what brings you here?”

“Escape.”

“I see. Did you find a place yet?”

“Yeah, on Peaks Island.”

“Good Lord, I didn’t think anyone from the Midwest would even know Peaks Island existed.”

“I saw it on a travel show.”

Katie McLellan smirked. “So, what are you doing about a job?”

“Not sure. This is my explore Portland day. I haven’t given it much thought.”

“We are heading into our busy season, with fall just around the corner. I could use some extra help, if you’re interested. We are re-decorating the entire upstairs. People love those Department 56 villages. I need someone else besides Patsy, my full-time girl who is home sick today. Has a touch of the flu, or so she says.” Katie winked.


Okay, now it's your turn. The Lucky 7 authors I am tagging are the following.

Leah Griffith @ Eating Life Raw

Beverly Diehl @ Writing in Flow

Julia Munroe Martin @ wordsxo

Karen Cantwell @ Karen Cantwell

Becky Povich @ Becky Povich: Writer Searching for Bliss

inluvwithwords @ Out on a Limb

Ute Carbone @ Ute Carbone

Please visit these great writer blogs, either for their own Lucky 7 challenges, or just for a good read.



Comments

inluvwithwords said…
Love the easy flow of the dialogue, Karen. Nice excerpt! And thanks for tagging me. I'm off to my WIP to see what page 77 looks like. *Gulp*
Beverly Diehl said…
This moves well, but I am wondering - is this told from Catherine's POV? I'd like a little more insight into her thoughts, body language, or some action - is the shopowner, Katie, working on something behind the counter...?

I will see if I can't post something this weekend. :-)
I love the dialogue -- very realistic!! My only comment (from a Maine POV) is that it's not clear if you're referring to fall or summer as the busy season on Peaks Island (I think it would be summer).

As for my Lucky 7 challenge posting, I'll need to wait until a future WIP page 77 because I'll be starting to query with this one any day!! :)
BECKY said…
Well, thank you Karen, but you know...I'm not even sure if I HAVE a page 77! Since I'm writing a memoir, it's kind of all jumbled at the moment...snippets of life here and there. I guess I'll have to pass this time, but gosh, thank you very much for thinking of me! (I will check out the others' blogs you chose, though!)
Whatever you can put out there, ladies, is just fine. If not, no biggie. Just wanted to provide the chance.

Good luck with all of your WIPs whether they are current or forthcoming.
Karen Cantwell said…
Karen! This is so cool! I love your dialogue and can't wait to read this book. :-) I also don't have a page 77 of my current WIP yet, but when time permits, I'll see if I can post from page 7! :-) I'll check out the other blogs as well - thank you for thinking of me!

Popular posts from this blog

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: Which, What, Who?

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: 'F' It All

I'm on Location