On This Day In...

Posted by KAREN WOJCIK BERNER



Periodically, I thumb through A Book of Days for the Literary Year, a wonderful source of author information, significant dates in literary history, and fascinating quotations, all beautifully illustrated with lovely portraits and photos.

Its editor, Neal T. Jones, calls it "...a compendium of literary lore including notable quotations, scores of birthdays, myriad marriages, some romance (and quite a few deaths) all relating to the literary life profusely illustrated with photographs, paintings, and drawings."

Today, for example, there are items about Samuel Johnson and Anne Frank, but I find this one most intriguing.

"1842: Nathaniel Hawthorne and his bride, Sophia Peabody, move into the Old Manse in Concord, Mass., to find the garden already plowed for them by Thoreau."

I don't know why, but that little tidbit made me smile.


Comments

Kelly Hashway said…
That makes me smile too! :)
Beverly Diehl said…
Interesting. Consideration, or controlling? (You will garden!)

Makes me smile, too. Sounds like a great book to have to leaf through.
R. Doug Wicker said…
Sounds as if Henry David was a pretty Thoreau guy.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. I'll go back to my room, now.
LOL, R. Doug. :)

Funny you question his motives, Beverly.
caitlin thomson said…
That is a good quote! Have you read an American Bloomsbury by Susan Cheever? It's quite enjoyable, and focuses a great deal on how Hawthorn, Thoreau, Alcott, Emerson, and Melville interacted. I never realized how important Emerson was in terms of funding early American literature until I read that book.
Caitlin, I haven't read it, but it definitely sounds like something I would enjoy. Thanks for the recommendation and for reading.
Leah Griffith said…
That is the sweetest thing. I love the connection they all had. I hope to visit my family in MA this summer. There are a few places I'd like to visit. It's been such a long time since we were able to roam the countryside.

Thank you for your wonderful reviews Karen. I'm glad that you enjoyed the novel.

Popular posts from this blog

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: 'F' It All

I'm on Location

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: Which, What, Who?