Banned Books Week, Sept. 30-Oct. 6

Posted by KAREN WOJCIK BERNER





Every year, the thing that shocks me the most about Banned Books Week is the list of classics that have been banned at one time or another. These are important novels that have shaped collective American consciousness, and they were almost silenced by self-righteous morons.

Here are a few courtesy of bannedbooksweek.org. For the complete list, click here.

The Great Gatsby: Some people had problems with the language and sexual references.

The Grapes of Wrath: Objections to profanity and sexuality.

The Scarlet Letter: Parents tried to ban it even in 1977, because it "conflicted with community values."

Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: Banned by a Wisconsin school district because "they wanted to avoid controversy at all costs." That's right. Bury your head. Maybe the horrors will just go away.

It's really very simple. If someone is offended by foul language, sexual situations, or controversial topics, fine. Don't read the books. But why not let other people make up their own minds?

What's your favorite banned book?




Comments

Kelly Hashway said…
I own three copies of The Great Gatsby. So good!
You know what, Kelly? I think Gatsby is my favorite among these as well.
Nicki Mann said…
Catcher In The Rye, and To Kill A Mockingbird! Actually I have found out that quite a few of my favorite books have been on the banned list at some point or another!
Me, too, Nicki. It's rather crazy, isn't it?
Beverly Diehl said…
Gatsby is still on my TBR list, but I've read lots of others. Probably To Kill A Mockingbird is my favorite. The Hunger Games was a fabulous series, and I finally got around to A Brave New World this year.

Beloved is also on my TBR list this year.
"To Kill a Mockingbird" is a great novel, Beverly. I started "Beloved" awhile back, but never got back to it.

Popular posts from this blog

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: Which, What, Who?

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: 'F' It All

I'm on Location