Editing for Grammarphobes Returns

Posted by KAREN WOJCIK BERNER


I don't know about you, but I have missed doing my Editing for Grammarphobes blog posts, so I've decided to bring them back occasionally. Here's something I ran into last weekend while working on a piece for my freelance account. I have seen it written the wrong way several times and want to set the record straight.

When referring to the holiday decoration, which one is correct — luminarias or luminaries? 

According to the Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary, eleventh edition, luminaria is right.

A luminaria is a "traditional Mexican Christmas lantern originally consisting of a candle set in sand inside a paper bag."

The plural luminaries refers to either "a person of prominence or brilliant achievement" or "a body that gives light," especially a celestial body.



Photo courtesy of the Frugal Monkey blog



Comments

Kelly Hashway said…
I've missed your grammarphobes posts. :)
BooksAndPals said…
I've missed them too. :)
Awww, thanks! I will be adding more of them back into the rotation. :)
R. Doug Wicker said…
YAY ! ! !

It's BACK ! ! !

Living in El Paso I can say with 100% certainty that the plural is indeed 'luminarias.' They're all over this town during the Christmas Season, including at Casa Wicker
I bet they look beautiful, R. Doug. You would be shocked at how many sites call them "luminaries!" It's just wrong.

Popular posts from this blog

I'm on Location

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: Which, What, Who?

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: 'F' It All