Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: Thanksgiving Edition





Every Wednesday, Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0 features handy tips to enhance all of our writing, from daily emails to articles to books. After all, everyone needs to write, right?



Posted by KAREN WOJCIK BERNER


I tried to find grammar issues with Thanksgiving words, but there are very few besides cornucopia, which is spelled with a surprising “u,” and that the plural of potato takes an “e,” so it is potatoes

When I was young, I loved the story of Thanksgiving. Our teachers omitted many crucial details about the zealousness and cruelty of the Pilgrims, and I was led to believe everything was lovely as the pilgrims and Native Americans came together for a unity meal. It’s irresponsible to whitewash history, so click here to read what really happened.

Ugh.

As an adult, I’ve come to fashion the holiday as a time to give thanks for what we have. 

Being a writer and editor means I get to work from home, which is pretty great most of the time. The one drawback is that it can be a little lonely with no lunches with co-workers or morning conversations while pouring coffee.

That’s where you come in, dear readers. I’m so grateful for you.

The response to my resurrecting Editing for Grammarphobes has been wonderful. I’m so glad you’re enjoying the series and am very happy to be once again spreading correct grammar around the Internet. 

Reading your comments is like stopping by your office desk for a quick chat. 

I’ve received a few grammar questions and am delighted to have helped. Please keep them coming!

Hope you have a wonderful long holiday weekend. Next week, our alphabet series continues with the letter “I.” 

All the best,

Karen








Comments

Fi said…
It's always good to have a reminder of grammar. I tend to get lazy otherwise. Here's a question for you. I tend to use dashes (-) in my blog posts to link ideas. Is this correct or should I be using something else?
angel011 said…
Thank you for Editing for Grammarphobes, it really helps!

As for questions: "Which" vs. "That" and "Which" vs. "What". When to use each one?
Thanks for your questions, Fi and angel011. I will answer them next week.
R. Doug Wicker said…
Just got back in country after nearly a month with little to no internet, and your Grammarphobes is definitely one of the things I missed. So glad to be back.

Have a great and wonderful Thanksgiving celebration, Karen.
Welcome back, R. Doug! Hope you will share some of your new pics on your blog. Thanks for your kind words. Have a great holiday!

Popular posts from this blog

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: 'F' It All

I'm on Location

Editing for Grammarphobes 2.0: Which, What, Who?